VOCAL for Windows
VOCAL is an indispensible tool for everyone involved in the aircargo industry, whether airliner, forwarder or shipper. VOCAL for Windows is a quick and easy tool for checking the loadability of a shipment and for calculating the chargeable weight and the actual space required. Just enter the dimensions and the aircraft type and VOCAL will immediately tell you whether the piece of cargo can be loaded, and, in addition, calculate the regular 1:6 volume and the amount of pallet space required. Sales staff are put in a position to give a quick and soundly-based quotation while the staff in space control have a more exact estimate of how much of the available capacity has been filled.
- VOCAL (= VOlume CALculation) for Windows is a Windows-based stand-alone programme to check the loadability and to calculate the volume weight and pallet space required for a single piece of cargo or for several pieces in one shipment.
- VOCAL is a valuable tool for all participants involved in airfreight transportation, from the shipper through the freight forwarder up to the airline sales and operations staff.
- VOCAL not oly checks whether a shipment can be loaded on the chosen aircraft type but also calculates the volume and gives a realistic estimate of the pallet space required. Sales staff are therefore in a position to determine the applicable freight charges and also the chargeable weight.
- The space control staff can also better estimate the spae requirements of a given shipment, far more precisely than just calculating on the basis of the actual volume of a shipment.
- The VOCAL screen is divided into 2 areas: the left side is used for the volume calculation on a piece-by-piece basis; on the right side the results of up to 20 individual calculations can be listed in order to calculate the volume of a complete shipment consisting of various different pieces of cargo.
Click here for an example.
- VOCAL has the following functions and performs the following calculations:
- checks loadability against dimensions tables
- checks loadability against maximum weights
- takes into account whether cargo is stackable or not
- calculates for lower-deck and main-deck options and selects the better possibility
- performs alternative calculations for turned cargo (exchanging length and width) and selects the better possibility
- takes lower-deck "wing pallets" into account, where permissible
- stores the results of up to 20 sets of dimensions with a grand total
- prints a hard-copy for your files, if required.
- in the "inches version" dimensions can be entered either in inches or in centimetres and are automatically converted.
- borderline cases are displayed as "manual check"
- VOCAL can alert the user when additional costs can be involved, e.g. for a crane or for a second high-loader.
What VOCAL cannot do
Not everything can be automated; the "human touch" is still sometimes necessary. To avoid any misconceptions, here a some of the things that VOCAL cannot do:
- VOCAL can only calculate the space required palletised cargo on freighters or wide-body aircraft. For smaller aircraft with bulk loading VOCAL can only check the loadability against the dimensions tables and calculate the standard 1:6 volume weight
- VOCAL can only provide a "rough and ready" calculation. VOCAL performs its calculations based on plausible assumptions that other suitable cargo will be available to fill up any remaining pallet space. At the actual time of loading the situation can of course be different.
- As a "rough and ready" tool VOCAL rounds all calculations to the next 0.1 pallet.
- VOCAL always assumes that given dimensions are for rectangular cargo. In the case of contoured cargo (e.g. cylinders, unpacked machines, aircraft engines, etc.) VOCAL can possibly declare a shipment as "not loadable" when it can actually be loaded.
- As always, automated calculations are a valuable tool but cannot totally replace common sense and experience!